SC Media – Only 31% of UK consumers say protecting data is their responsibility

scmediaThe majority of UK consumers (69 percent) believe that the responsibility for protecting their personal data lies in the hands of the businesses holding that information, while the remaining 31 percent believe they are responsible for protecting their own information.

“In 2016, we saw a number of high profile data breaches, notably TalkTalk and Yahoo, affect UK consumers, helping raise public awareness around the very real threats to personal data. Despite this, it appears that UK consumers are less concerned about becoming a victim of a breach than their counterparts worldwide, with more than half being confident when banking online or via mobile. What is clear, is that UK consumers believe the responsibility for protecting personal data lies with the business and not the individual, leading to a feeling that it is not their own fault should a data breach occur,” said Jason Hart, CTO of data protection at Gemalto.

To read the full article click here.

Leave a Reply